Monday, August 1, 2016

A visit to Oxford

I'm back in Cincinnati now, after an eventful month in the UK.

On my last day before departure, I headed up to Oxford, a short bus ride from London. The town was thronged with tourists (this is far from the busiest street).





With a little creativity, though, you could get away from the hordes and find quiet places, such as the untraveled Logic Lane. (There's something to be learned there.)



At an antique shop, I spotted a Blue Bird (Torpedo) from the '30s. This is essentially the same design that was made in the UK as the Imperial Good Companion 3, 5, and 7.



The same shop had many old books.



I met typospherian Rob Bowker (Typewriter Heaven), who lives not far away. Rob toted a Hermes Baby in his backpack, but it never came out. Our meeting was an un-type-in, as he says. We just had too many other things to do in Oxford.







This woman was fashioning a wooden spoon such as the ones that Rob has started creating. The two of them had a brief discussion between experts.



We enjoyed bangers and mash at The Eagle and Child, favored by the Inklings.



Then Rob introduced me to the fascinating Pitt Rivers Museum, where tons of anthropological specimens are exhibited in cluttered cases, with more drawerfuls of objects underneath. They are arranged thematically rather than historically.



One of the themes is writing. Typewriters were not included, even though a sewing machine is on display next to more traditional sewing and tailoring tools.



Speaking of writing equipment, a shop specializing in fountain pens featured these nibs in its window.



And on the recommendation of La Vie Graphite, I visited Scriptum, a wonderful shop chock-full of blank, leather-bound journals. Yes, I got one.



Rob also took me to the impressive Ashmolean Museum. Thank you, Rob!

I'll close with a few more images from London.

I ran across this wonderful former Michelin showroom, featuring the famous Michelin Man, or Bibendum.



These touching plaques are in an inconspicuous corner of the Victoria & Albert Museum:



And speaking of animals, I found this to be a delightful name for a beer.




So long, Planet London. Till next time!



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time. Seems like you could have spent years there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous time, I hope you and Rob had the best of times (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a wonderful time in the UK - love the Planet London image.

    ReplyDelete